To earn the Black Star, choose and do any five (5) of the A Requirements and any two (2) of the B Requirements. These activities can be done by yourself, or with your six, pack, family or friends.
A. Requirements (any 5)
- Care for a lawn or garden for a month.
- Without harming nature, mount and label a display of natural things, such as leaves, weeds, rocks, or seeds and tell about your collection.
- Grow a plant indoors and describe how it grew.
- Grow a sugar or salt crystal on a string.
- Plant a tree or shrub, describe how trees grow and why they are important to nature.
- Point out or describe some sources of pollution in your neighbourhood and describe possible solutions.
- Make a rain gauge and use it to record rain or snowfall for a month.
- Make and set up a bird bath, bird house, or bird feeding station, and look after it for a season.
- Show how to use and take care of common garden tools.
- Using the water cycle, show the route water takes to your home or show how acid rain is formed and how it affects nature.
- Point out the North Star and three constellations.
B. Requirements (any 2)
- Visit a natural area of your choice and point out some different ways the local plants and animals depend on one another for life.
- Go on a ramble and identify six different kinds of birds, or keep a record of birds using a bird bath or bird feeder for a season. Know which birds are protected in your area.
- Visit one of the following places: conservation area, weather station, fish hatchery, observatory, tree farm, fire ranger tower, farm, greenhouse, park, zoo, forestry station, dam. Learn about how this place helps the environment.